A zirconia crown is a type of dental crown that is made from a strong, durable ceramic material called zirconia. Dental crowns are tooth-shaped covers that are placed over a tooth that is damaged or decayed to restore its shape, size, and function. Zirconia crowns are becoming an increasingly popular option for dental restorations because they offer several benefits over other types of crowns.
Benefits of Zirconia Crowns
- Zirconia is an extremely strong and durable ceramic material, making it an excellent choice for dental restorations.
- Zirconia crowns are designed to be long-lasting and resistant to wear and tear, making them a great option for patients who have a strong bite and need a material that is strong enough to withstand these forces.
- Zirconia is also biocompatible, meaning that it is unlikely to cause an allergic reaction or other negative side effects in the patient.
- Another benefit of zirconia crowns is that they are highly aesthetic.
- The material is white in color and can be matched to the shade of the patient's natural teeth, making it difficult to distinguish between the crown and the surrounding teeth.
- Zirconia crowns are also resistant to staining, which means they will not discolor over time like other crowns.
- Zirconia crowns are also easy to place.
How are they Made?
They can be fabricated using computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM) technology, which allows for precise and accurate measurements of the tooth and crown. This technology ensures that the crown fits perfectly and provides a comfortable and functional bite. If you want to know more about zirconia crowns, you can get in touch with a Greely Dentist, and their expert staff will be happy to assist you.
The Disadvantage of a Zirconia Crown
One downside of zirconia crowns is that they are pricier than other types of crowns. That said, several patients state that the benefits of zirconia crowns overshadow the cost.
The Final Word
In summary, a zirconia crown is a type of dental cap that is made from a strong ceramic material called zirconia. Zirconia crowns offer several benefits over other types of crowns, including strength, durability, aesthetics, and ease of placement. Yes, they are pricier than other types of crowns; however, patients find that the benefits of zirconia crowns make them a worthwhile investment in their dental health. Contact a Greeley dentist today for the best dental care for you and your whole family.